Solo Trekking - Day 1

I am back at the ger of Tomor and Otgon, where M and I stayed four days ago. The lake looks beautiful.
M left my Lonely Planet phrasebook at this ger, so I have come back to get it. Without that book, the rest of my trek will be all the more difficult. M continued clockwise around the lake and is heading back to Khatgal.
I left Tsagaannuur at 2:40 pm. and went on the wrong path right away. I came to the river and my horse would not cross. I tried a second time at a different location, but had the same result. Max stood motionless on the bank. That was probably a good thing. If the horse cannot see the bottom of the river, he may be hesitant about entering the water.

I doubled back, went around a lake and found a bridge further on. For quite a while Max was neighing, missing his fellow animal companion. He also wanted to turn back to town on his own.

When I tried to mount Max back in T. the saddle slipped. I had put a new, broader cinch on Max that I had received from a Dutchman. I did not have it tied tight enough.

I arrive at the ger of T and O at 7:30. No one is visible. I hitch my horse and see a couple people in the cow corral. I enter the ger local style, without knocking. Mongolia may be one of the only places in the world where you can enter the home of a complete stranger unannounced and be offered sustanance and refuge for the night.


Two boys tag along up the pass
 Riding up to the pass a couple hours north of Tomor's ger I meet two small boys on a horse. They tag along for a few minutes. One shows me his trick: he stands atop of his horse.

Back in Tsagaannuur M and I divvied up the provisions. I told him I wanted the saddle that he had been using these past three weeks. It has better padding on the seat. But he did not want to discuss it. I said I would flip a coin with him for it. The best he could muster, with his 28 years, was "I don't know." M is not really into sharing.

Tonight's dinner: güriltai shöl. Noodle soup with mutton and potatoes. I am beat. Whipping the horse must have tired me. The old leather cinch I had replaced I used for a whip. It worked. Whipping the horse with the lead rope, as E had done, did nothing. The leather whip gets results.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    Nepal Trekking Packages

    ReplyDelete