Semi-Nomads

The annual schedule of this family: January to May they live in R town, where Otgon is a teacher. June to August they live here and tend their livestock. September to December they move bak to R town and live in their house.
I fetch water from the lake. The girls collect firewood - but from where? The river? Now Tomor is leaving for R town on a friend's motorbike. Otgon and the smallest child, Emüjin, are going, too. They fill a two liter bottle with airag, the slightly alcoholic mare's milk, to sell in town. The friend stays here.

Max got loose. I had staked him near the lake, but the ground there is soft and he pulled himself free. Suddenly I saw a horse galloping across the open expanse, not realizing it was mine. One of the twins took time off from milking the cows to help me catch it. Not much of a problem. Max soon came to a halt and the daughter gave me the lead rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment