Ulaan-uul Day 7 Solo

Just finished sorting cranberries with two women. I will stay in this ger with one of them. Her husband took off shortly after I arrived at 4:30. I intended to stay next door, at fixed wooden houses, the place the woman back in Renchelkhumbe recommended, but that is all locked up.
still can't figure out the map, which way I came. I stopped at a ger from 12:30 to 2 pm., then walked to the river Baxmax with the woman and kids. We took fotos, before I mounted. She said it would take about two hours to reach Ulaan-uul. I made it in two and a half. I turned up a small incline and then headed south, but I can't find the hill on the map. The wind picked up after crossing the river. It was, however, a beautiful ride. No problems with Max, my horse. He responds better and better. But sometimes in the morning he does not want to walk. I walk Max before mounting to tighten up the cinch.

Pooh-J coming to see me off
You won't believe this! This morning I departed the ger and about 30 minutes later what do I see? A motorcycle is approaching from my left. The two are riding towards me. For a moment this is worrisome. But soon my concern fades. When they arrive I notice that it is Pooh-J coming to see me off. He gets off the motorcycle and gives me a bag of aaryyl and - are you ready for this? - 5,000 tg! (about $5). I decline the offer several times, but finally relented so we both could be on our way. This morning I was losing patience with him and the others as they helped me saddle Max. As I tightened the cinch, they were bridling him, but that frightens him and could be dangerous.

Locals often want to offer a hand in dealing with the tack. I don't know how to interpret this. Are they just being helpful, or do they think I don't know what to do? In any case, it can be a learning experience to let them saddle Max, for example; I may learn a new way of packing the bags or tying knots. On the other hand, if I let them do it, I have to check it to make sure it is safe and sound.
Shöl for dinner. I didn't know it was coming, so beforehand I filled up on bread and jam. When I arrived here I had bread and öröm. That is the local fare. I walked to the forested area looking for water for Max, where the women pointed me. But I found none. Upon returning to the ger, I found it was empty, so I went to the wooden house in the back and found the mother and her sister eating bread and jam. Soon Huya, the daughter, joined us. She must be 17. I sad to her, LA has more people than Mongolia. She gave me her cell phone to type the sentence so she could understand me.

Today is day seven of solo equitrekking. It is fantastic! The people! The landscape! The learning curve with Max! All is wonderful. A few anxious moments of not finding the trail. But there is no reason for that to be, because it is a vehicle road. You can't really miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment