Pass south of Ulaan-uul Day 7 Solo

Mom and Huya have gone to fetch water on the motorcycle. Yesterday I wheeled it inside the ger for them. This morning Huya drove me to their shop, which she runs. I bought water and OJ.

I left Ulaan-uul at 1pm. and arrived at the pass at 4 pm. It rained all the way, but it was not slippery. The pass was rocky. Max did fine, but he is hungry. Yesterday and today he stops suddenly for no reason. He does not pee. He just stops. I whip him and eventually he goes. At first, like our guides, I used the lead rope as a whip, but that is useless. There is no force behind it. But now I use the old leather cinch, and Max responds to that.


Inside the ger

South of the pass the weather was dry and the sun tried to come out. I went for the north cluster of gers, which meant doubling back a bit. I chose this one because I saw a man outside. But I may have chosen the wrong one. It took about an hour until I got the OK to bring my saddle in. And it was raining! The man of the ger napped after looking forever in my phrasebook, without saying anything! Finally, after a couple guests arrived, and they got the conversational ball rolling. It seemed the guest actually brought up the subject of me sleeping here.

Since Renchelkhumbe I have three backpacks. I bought a used one in that town at the guesthouse. Just now I tried to repair the zipper on it, but I only succeeded in making it worse. I will have to close it with safety pins and carry my food in there instead of my camera lenses.

I sure hope the weather is fine tomorrow. What to do if it rains? Do I leave this ger? That would be awful. Riding in the rain sucks. It was a challenge coming over the pass. Not so much because of the height as the lousy wet weather. Got some thumbs-up and nods of approval from passers-by in vehicles. I did not foto at all due to the fact that I had buried my camera deep in my bag.

I saw almost no gers the whole day. After an hour or two I saw a couple, but it was too early to stop, the weather notwithstanding. So on I went. No gers leading up to the pass. The turn off to the western Toom town is but three or four km south of the river. I have to decide which road to take to Moron, the shorter way vehicles drive, or via Toom. But maybe I won't even see the turn off.

The 14 year old girl makes dinner and takes time off to comfort the four month old. Mom and Dad ave disappeared. Beside her sits a one and a half year old.

My clothes, deel, jacket, sweatshirt - all hang from the rafters
in order to dry. Inside a ger it is always warm, the stove always going. The 80 or so wooden poles holding up the roof of the ger provide great clothes-hanging opportunities.

The difference between the way I enter a ger and how locals do it? I knock. I should be in Moron in ten days.

No comments:

Post a Comment